The auto recycling industry plays an important role in the conservation of natural resources through the recycling and reuse of vehicle parts and scrap metal. Around 65% of a junked car is steel, with the other 35% made up of other metals, glass, rubber and upholstery. Recycling this metal uses up around 75% less energy than making new steel. Buying recycled steel is cheaper too because new ore does not have to be mined to produce it. With all steel today made up of at least 25% recycled steel, and the number of products made of solely recycled steel increasing, recycling cars has become a vital link in the world’s industrial infrastructure. With scrap steel and iron prices averaging around $250 per ton, not only is the industry environmentally friendly, it is also profitable.
One of the first steps in preparing a vehicle to be reprocessed and recycled is condensing the car. This is done with a car crusher/flattener. The crusher condenses the car so that it takes up less space, drastically reducing transportation and storing costs. There are two primary types of car crushers, “pancake” compactors, such as the Electric MAC Stationary Car Flattener and baling press compactors, such as the Al-jon Model 20 Portable Car Crusher. The “pancake” kind flatten the scrap automobile with a huge descending hydraulically-powered plate, while the baling press type compress the auto from several directions until it resembles a large cube. The primary reason to crush cars is so that they take up less space. This drastically reduces the transportation and storing cost.
The Electric MAC Stationary Car Flattener is powered by a 50 HP, 489 VAC, three-phase Lincoln electric motor. It offers a 7’6” lift and crushing capacity of 306,000 with a 45 second cycle time. It has a pressure of 2400 psi at 1800 rom.
The Al-jon Model 20 Portable Car Crusher is powered by a Detroit Model 453 diesel engine and comes equipped with controls and recently installed new seals. It is mounted on a heavy-duty axle trailer. Al-jon uses stronger, lighter materials to ensure efficient productivity of and long lifespans. Aj-jon products depend on reliable, low-pressure systems with a two-stage pump to create high-quality results and reliable output.
Worldwide Recycling Equipment Sales, LLC is constantly replenishing its stock; to see all auto-recycling and salvage yard equipment available now, click here. To see full company inventory of all products, click here.